I had my first cup of coffee when I was probably 12-13 years old and it changed my life. Since then I enjoy at least 2 cups of coffee a day. How many of you can relate? Espeically being a Canadian we ranked the third highest for coffee consumers. I wrote this short blog to share some health benefits coffee holds and debunk some common myths you might've heard growing up!
- Coffee contains caffeine that improves your energy levels. We all love caffeine to get us through those groggy mornings.
- Coffee contains quite a few essential nutrients such as
Magnese and Potassium
Magnesium and Niacin
3.May reduce risk of diabetes
- Studies have shown that people who drink coffee have a 23-50% less chance of getting type 2 diabetes.
4.Protects your liver
- You know that thing that you destroy every weekend? Studies have shown us that people who drink coffee have a much lower chance of developing cirrhosis.
5.Source of antioxidants
- Coffee contains polyphenols and hydrocinnamic acids which are very powerful antioxidants.
- Alzheimer's is an awful disease that usually affects people 65 and older. Although there is no cure for the disease we can prevent it from eating healthy and exercising. Studies have now shown us that coffee drinkers have a reduced risk of getting the disease.
- Depression seems to become more and more common in people, and can negatively impact someone's quality of life. Several studies have shown reduced depression in people who drank coffee. Click here for the study.
8.Can help you lose weight.
- Coffee contains caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline that all have positive contributions to your metabolism. Also, you can exercise more if you have more energy from caffeine, right?
1. Causes dehydration
- You should not replace your daily water intake with coffee, but to say coffee dehydrates you is a misconception. Many studies have proven this.
2. It sobers you up
- An increase in energy due to the caffeine may cause someone to feel soberer, but it does not decrease your blood alcohol levels.
3. It stunts your growth
- Now I have to stop blaming coffee for my lack of height. Even though your child shouldn't be drinking coffee, if it happens by accident it isn't going to stunt their growth.
4. It's addictive
- Although people may experience headaches if they miss their morning coffee, this does not count as an addiction nor do you have to go to a rehab center to quit drinking coffee.
5. Espresso has more caffeine than regular coffee
- Espresso is very concentrated but due to the fact it only comes in 1-2 ounce servings the caffeine in it does not match a regular coffee.
6. The darker the roast the more caffeine it has
- Since dark roasts are roasted longer it causes it to lose caffeine during the process. This one had me fooled for years!