We've all been on those midweek binges that hold us back from reaching our fitness and health goals. The truth is it happens and it's not a huge deal. If it happens from time to time there is no reason to stress over it. The best thing you can do is get back on the wagon and keep going, rather than turning these binges into daily habits. Here are some ideas on how you can manage your food cravings. None of these tips is magic but when you apply them all you will notice your chances of success have greatly increased.
1. Drink more water
- We know water is an essential element of life. By drinking an adequate amount of water throughout the day can play a huge role in managing your food cravings. Along with drinking water to suppress your appetite during the day try having a large glass of water before, during, and after you eat to prevent you from overeating. Trust us on this one, it works! You will also reap the benefits of staying hydrated
2. Get more sleep
- The University of Chicago conducted a sleep study on several men and women. They concluded that when the group was sleep deprived they actually craved more junk food and overall food in general. The study suggests that lack of sleep can certainly trigger different cravings resulting in rapid weight gain.
3. Schedule your meals
- Eating when you're hungry is a great way to manage your diet but for some of you, that may not be working. Most of the time people will go several hours staying hungry resulting in binging later in the evening on their favourite foods. Try pre-planning your meals and scheduling when you eat, after a while, you will develop a new habit and you won't have to be so strict with yourself.
4. Eat enough protein
- Eating enough protein plays a huge role in fighting cravings, you may think you're eating enough but we highly suggest you take the time to figure out how much protein you're eating. We recommend 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight. If you're an individual who weighs 165lb you should, therefore, be eating 132 grams of protein. Remember this is just a guideline if you don't hit it exactly don't stress out.
5. Find healthier alternatives
- If you don't buy it you won't be able to eat it. I know it's easier said than done in our modern world. With everything being so accessible you will have to put forward a little more effort to overcome these cravings. Try eating a piece of fruit when you feel you are having a craving and balance it with a protein shake. This is a super simple tips that is highly effective.